It doesn’t matter if you buy a pair of sneakers or some medicine for your grandma, you’re likely to find these small bags of silica gel in the box or container. Most people just toss them in the trash without thinking twice, but these packets may actually save the day in many situations.
We were surprised to find out how many uses ordinary silica gel packets have. At the end of the article, you’ll find a small tip that will make your work with this product even more convenient.
1. They can help dry out your electronic devices.
Silica gel bags absorb moisture perfectly, so they may come in handy when you need to fix a wet device, like a mobile phone or AirPods. Put your device in a Ziplock bag with silica gel, close it tightly, and don’t touch it for the next 72 hours. This method allows the device to dry out completely and minimize the damage done by the water.
2. You can use them to get rid of a foggy windshield.
Foggy windshields are extremely irritating and may be the cause of many dangerous situations on the road. If you feel like the technical equipment in your car isn’t coping with this problem well, just place a couple of silica bags near the windshield and enjoy your drive.
3. You can use them to preserve food.
Seeds, spices, herbs, and even pet food should be preserved in dry places so it doesn’t go stale. Just put a silica bag in a container with the food and it’ll prevent mold from growing and keep the products fresh.
4. They’ll keep your things fresh and clean.
To prevent your bed sheets and towels from smelling moldy, store them with a few silica gel bags. The same trick works for gym bags, lockers, and even sneakers. Silica gel absorbs the moisture, which slows down the spread of bacteria and prevents unpleasant odors.
5. You will prevent rust and corrosion.
Excessive moisture is one of the reasons why corrosion starts in the first place. Keeping silica gel bags with your razor blades, screwdrivers, hammers, and even silverware is a great way to save them from rust and tarnishing.
6. They can be used to dry flowers.
You can easily preserve flowers using silica gel. Take a container and fill it with the gel. Then stick flowers in it and cover them with the gel as well. Close the container tightly. Wait for 2-6 days and check to see if the drying process is complete. Then just remove the silica gel and enjoy the results.
7. You can use them to get rid of the unpleasant smell in your apartment.
Silica gel can mask unpleasant odors as well. For example, if you notice a constant smell under your sink, take a big package of silica get and place it under there. All you need to do is to replace the bags every once in a while.
- Silica gel isn’t toxic and it doesn’t break down inside the body but, of course, you should never eat it. There’s also a high risk of choking on this gel. That’s why manufacturers insist that it should be kept away from children and pets.
- Silica gel can easily get into headphone jacks and other contact sockets on a device and block them. So be careful and use silica gel bags if at all possible.
- Don’t heat up silica gel. Overwise, it’ll lose its useful features and may ruin some of your things if it comes in contact with them.
Bonus: Use a mesh laundry bag to store all of your silica gel packets.
What do you usually do with your silica gel bags? Maybe you know other ways to use them? Share your ideas in the comments.